Termination of Employment Attorney in Fairfax, Virginia

I’ve been terminated and offered a severance agreement. What should I do?

Fairfax, VA employment attorney John C. Cook talks about how he helps clients negotiate a severance agreement after being terminated.

More In This Category

View Transcript

If you’ve been fired and your employer is offering you a severance agreement, you should have that agreement reviewed by a lawyer. Every severance agreement has two pieces. One is you are getting money, and the other is you’re agreeing not to sue your employer. So you need to have a lawyer help you see whether or not you have a legal claim, because then the lawyer can help you determine whether the money you’re receiving is sufficient. Whether you’re being compensated properly for agreeing to give up your right to sue. And remember, the employer had a lawyer help them write the agreement. You really need a lawyer to help you review the agreement and make sure that your rights are protected.

More Videos From This Lawyer