Child Custody and Visitation Attorney in Lake Success, New York

My children and I live in one state and my spouse lives in another. Where should I file for divorce to best protect my parental rights of our children?

Nassau county family law attorney, Barton Resnicoff, discusses how to pick an ideal forum for child custody issues.

More In This Category

View Transcript

That depends upon a number of factors. Custody has to be done in the state that’s the home state of the children. There may or may not be a connection to the other spouse to set child support, which may have to be done somewhere else. You’d prefer to have – I would prefer to have it done in New York, only because New York has an age of emancipation of 21, which is probably the most liberal in the country, and one or two other states only go that far in support. New York is more restrictive on issues of relocation, which means if you’re trying to get permission to be out of state, you may want to be in a different state ’cause other states are much more liberal in permitting you to be able to move out of state.

More Videos From This Lawyer