Ex-Spouse not Paying Support?

Edina, MN Family Law Attorney, Jane Van Valkenburg talks about what happens if your ex-spouse does not pay support.

More In This Category

View Transcript

One, is you can register with the state to have the state collect child support, and they will then take it directly out of their check. If they’re not paying even through that, you can bring a contempt motion. It’s a long process, but the non-payor can be brought in on contempt charges. And then what the court does is they eventually find them in contempt, but what they do is they find them in contempt and then they set out steps in which they can purge themself, it’s called, and usually it’s bring themself current and do different – there are different steps to keep themself out of jail, but it’s usually to try to get them to be current.

More Videos From This Lawyer