Child Support Attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota

What options are there to collect child support arrears owed?

Stillwater family law attorney, Matt Ludt, shares how un-payed child support can be collected.

More In This Category

View Transcript

There are three primary ways to collect child support arrears. You can apply for the county services, at which point then they enforce your arrears and also consider suspension of driver’s license and passports and such. We can pursue a private contempt action where we ask the court to throw them in jail for nonpayment of child support, and that usually gets their attention pretty quickly. And then, the court monitors the case and schedules regular hearings until the contempt is no longer an issue. A third option is we can reduce the child support arrears to garnishment – or to judgment, garnish wages, levy bank accounts, put a lien on real estate and do those things in that capacity. So, there’s a number of options in regards to how to get the clients the money that they should have been paid a long time ago and eventually still need to get paid.

More Videos From This Lawyer