Child Custody and Visitation Attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Father’s Rights in Name Changes

Stillwater family law attorney, Matt Ludt, discusses changing the last name of a kid.

More In This Category

View Transcript

If you’ve never been to court regarding the child regarding parenting rights, custody, child support, if they’ve been totally absentee, they’re still due notice of the hearing of the fact that a petition’s been filed to change the child’s name underneath Minnesota statute. They have the right to show up for the hearing, and they can weigh in and object to it. Now, practical side of things is that if they’ve never been involved in the child’s life and they’ve never been paying child support, the court’s gonna weigh that in consideration of the mother or the other family member’s petition to change the name. So, just because they’re showing up and objecting doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not gonna go through, but it is – each case is different. But, for the most part, they do have a right.

More Videos From This Lawyer