Child Custody and Visitation Attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Parenting Time and Disobeying Court Order

Stillwater family law attorney, Matt Ludt, explains how to handle parenting time disputes.

More In This Category

View Transcript

No, you cannot. The court, the same way that you wouldn’t want your ex to stop paying child support because you didn’t do something, they’re not gonna want you to take a unilateral action because they did something else. Ultimately, this needs to be either addressed amongst you or addressed by the court, but ultimately, if someone’s not obeying it, then you have to try to correct the behavior, modify the court order or ask the court to hold the other side in contempt for violating it. And, depending on the nature of the violation, there could be some additional remedies, whether it’s attorney’s fees, a fine or even some compensatory time, depending on what the nature of the violation is.

More Videos From This Lawyer