I am in a registered domestic partnership or civil union. Can I file taxes jointly with my partner?

Nutley, New Jersey estate planning and probate attorney, Brad Micklin, talks about filing taxes jointly for those in registered domestic partnerships and civil unions.

Contact Brad Micklin

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 973-562-0100


Well, there are a lot of issues to tax filing with domestic partnerships and civil unions because we now recognize the right of same sex couples to marry. So the distinction is gonna turn on whether or not the relationship that you have, if it’s recognized as a marriage or considered tantamount to a marriage. So the best way to figure this issue is to meet with an attorney first, determine the nature of the legal relationship that you may have, because it may have changed over the course of time as the laws have developed, and then to speak with an accountant to ensure that the tax filing is gonna match with the legal advice.