What are the requirements to change a minor child’s name?

Stillwater family law attorney, Matt Ludt, shares how to change a kid’s last name.

Contact Matt Ludt

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (651) 430-9700


There are several requirements to change a minor’s name. First off, the minor has to have lived in the state for more than six months. It has to be done – brought in good faith. Can’t be just frivolous or bad faith. It’s gotta be in the child’s best interest.

You have to have two witnesses that are – show up that have known the child for a year or more that are gonna attest that it’s in the child’s best interest other than the parent’s. And the child has to be at the hearing, no matter what the age, and if they are sufficiently mature, the court will ask them to verify that they want it and that they believe it’s in their best interest.