If my ex-boyfriend is unemployed, does that mean he won’t be ordered to pay child support?

Stillwater family law attorney, Matt Ludt, explains how even if someone is unemployed, they might have to pay child support.

Contact Matt Ludt

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (651) 430-9700


No, it does not. In the calculation of child support, instead of using zero to calculate what his support would be, which would be zero, instead we’ll end up using – imputing his income as to what he’s capable of earning. If he’s got no real track record, we’ll use at least one and a half times the minimum wage. If there’s a significant track record of earning more than that, then we can argue that his income should be imputed as to what he’s been historically capable of making. And then, ultimately, it’s gonna be his responsibility to get a job, start paying the support. Otherwise, he’s gonna end up with child support arrears accumulating that he’ll ultimately end up having to pay.