Enforcement Of Support Obligations

Minneapolis, MN family law attorney Ruta Johnsen briefly goes over what happens if one does not pay child support when required to do so.

Contact Ruta Johnsen

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (612) 335-3233


The enforcement process can be a fairly complicated process. There is more than one way to enforce an order. In Minnesota, the Minnesota department of human services is responsible for overseeing child support. Each county has child support enforcement office. And you, as a parent who is the recipient of child support, can seek out assistance to enforce that order. Typically, the enforcement can happen by way of wage withholding, where the county support office is going to withhold the wages and then pay you directly. Other options for enforcement or for when a parent is not paying is driver’s license suspension, professional license suspension, or contempt of court proceedings among other things.