Do I need licensing on a state and federal level to start a brewery/distillery?

Minneapolis Minnesota brewery and distillery attorney Jeff O’Brien discusses the TTB and permits online as well as the licenses necessary to start a brewery or distillery.

Contact Jeff O'Brien

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (612) 336-9317


Yes, you do. The most important one and the first one that you lead with is the TTB approval. And then there’s some paperwork that has to be filled out with the state and a bond that has to be posted and an application fee, but that’s – in my experience, that’s somewhat of a formality once the TTB approval is in place. So, yes, you do have to have federal and state and local if you want to – if you’re a brewery that wants to have a taproom, that is something that has to be approved by your – the municipality where the brewery’s located.