How does insurance work when injuries have been sustained in a car accident?

Waukegan, IL personal injury attorney Brian Lewis discusses how insurance works if injuries have been sustained in a car accident.

Contact Brian Lewis

Phone: (847) 263-5100


When you’re involved in a car crash hopefully the person who hit you has insurance. It is required in the state of Illinois. Many times there is not insurance. Assuming there is insurance, the defendant’s insurance company will hire lawyers to represent the person who ran the red light or blew a stop sign and then the process begins with the insurance. The person’s insurance coverage will determine how much we can potentially recover for our clients.

In the situation where the defendant does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance, we then look to our client’s own insurance policies, and most, if not all insurance policies have what’s called underinsured motorist coverage or uninsured motorist coverage and those are additional protections for our clients that we could seek to get them the compensation, the full compensation that they deserve.