My child’s other parent earns a higher income than me and maintains more physical custody of our minor child. Am I still obligated to pay child support?

Minnesota family law attorney DeAnne Dulas explains how child support works when the two parents make different amounts of money but see the child the same amount of time.

Contact DeAnne Dulas

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (651) 968-1249


When parties share child custody, if one parent has more time, that parent will receive child support from the other parent regardless of how much income either party makes. Unless the parties make exactly the same amount of money and have exactly the same amount of parenting time, there will be a child support award paid from one party to the other.